White Guard/Black Guard
"The White and Black Guards had their souls imbued into an umbrella where they are bound together, forever."
|White Guard/Black Guard|
|Alias:||Wu Chang (Collective), Xie Bi'an & Fan Wujiu (White & Black seperate)|
Overview[edit | edit source]
Wu Chang is a hunter who has 2 souls in 1 body, known as White guard and Black guard. They conceal in a black umbrella and can transform their soul erratically.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
“Walking slowly in silence, aloof, sad and melancholy. Encountered a person holding an umbrella. But it was not you. Just like waking up from a dream there is only the lane and me in the rain.” —Wu Chang
Background[edit | edit source]
Xie Bi'an and Fan Wujiu (the White and Black Guards) had been like brothers. As they traveled to Nantai Bridge for a date one day, they noticed it was going to rain. Xie Bi'an told Fan Wujiu to wait under the bridge while he returned home to get an umbrella. After Xie Bi'an left, the rain began to pour and the river rose, but Fan Wujiu, reluctant to break his promise, stayed under the bridge. Shortly after, Xie Bi'an returned with the umbrella only to find that the bridge was now submerged and Fan Wujiu was nowhere to be seen... He had drowned.
Xie Bi'an was so grieved that he had no choice but to live without Fan Wujiu. No matter whether it was rain or shine, he carried the black umbrella during the day and wore white mourning clothes. He eventually committed suicide by hanging himself under the Nantai Bridge and left the black umbrella where Fan Wujiu had stayed.
The umbrella was found by a merchant and placed as a hallway centerpiece in his home. Since then, his family has had strange things happen to them. The black umbrella in the room was often unsupervised. In the middle of the night, the sounds of men sighing fill the hall. Everyone said that White Guard's soul was in the umbrella. Merchants invited a Taoist to get rid of the umbrella to lift the spell on the town. Since then, the house has been calm and quiet. Soon after, the merchants went out, but on the way, they found that the country was in chaos, and that the umbrella was missing.
External Traits[edit | edit source]
The White and Black Guards had their souls imbued into an umbrella and their souls can be switched by using Summon. The White Guard excels at patrol and pursuit and moves swiftly but has slow stun recovery and attack speed; the Black Guard excels at melee combat and has fast stun recovery and attack speed, but moves slowly.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Wu Chang sacrifices proficiency in either melee or movement to increase the proficiency in one of the two. Their three unique Abilities are:
|Infinite Nirvana||Throws the Umbrella at the target location, where it will stay for 5 seconds. Outlines of Survivors in the area covered by the Umbrella will be shown, with their movement speed and vaulting speed slightly decreased, and other interaction speeds significantly decreased. Outlines of these Survivors will still be shown for 5 seconds after they move outside the area. For the duration where the Umbrella is active, Wu Chang can choose to teleport to where the Umbrella is and switch to Dual Soul mode, or retrieve the Umbrella to recover skill countdown. Without the Umbrella, Wu Chang's movement speed and window vaulting speed is increased. The Umbrella will return to Wu Chang when the 5 seconds are up.|
Use the skill to switch into Dual Soul mode, or hold down the skill button to charge up and toss the soul umbrella forward and then switch to Dual Soul mode and teleport to where the umbrella lands. The longer you charge the skill the further you can toss the umbrella.
|Siphon Soul & Wavering Soul||The White Guard's body moves with ease, and when it fully enters the spiritual realm it won't be able to interact with anything for 5 seconds. However, its movement speed is greatly increased and it will siphon the souls of nearby Survivors. If it manages to fully siphon a Survivor's soul, their soul will be lost.
Bedazzled and unable to interact with the environment.
When the Black Guard rings the bell and casts Wavering Soul, all Survivors that hear the ringing have to steel their resolve and calibrate with precision. Should they fail the calibration, the will become horrified for 60 seconds; if they fail another calibration during that time, their soul will waver.
Movement directions will be reversed.
|Summon - Enhanced||
Reduces the time it takes to switch souls in Dual Soul mode and you will immediately perform a powerful Siphon Soul or Wavering Soul upon switching.
Deduction Target[edit | edit source]
Appearance Decoration[edit | edit source]
|Original||Already Equipped||The original costume. Everything looks so natural.||N/A|
|Worn Clothes||N/A||All the clothes are super tattered. Was it only a game they have been through?||N/A|
|Divine||S2 Essence 2||Pray in times of need and you might receive an answer from the void that will bring you happiness.||N/A|
|Far East Wind||Late Spring||Today is the day I have to decide, when shall I return peacefully.||2888 Echoes or 12888 Fragments|
|Frost||N/A||Passion only brings a full head of steam that destroys one's process of thinking. A rational thinker must stay cool and calm at all times.||2888 Echoes or 12888 Fragments|
|The Intersection Bishounen||Junji Ito Collection||Have you ever encountered them at a foggy crossroads?||N/A|
|Requiem||Memory Sphere Season 8||He had already used that silver scythe to sever all connections with the past.||N/A|
|Flying Guillotine||Memory Sphere Season 10||As destiny pushes him off a cliff, the cries of the gentle, even at the top of their lungs, won't turn back time. As the dust settled... perhaps... remaining calm is the ultimate answer.||N/A|
|Broken Blossoms||Deduction Star||Waiting still as the moon's up high, the eastern wind blows from the curtain inside.||1388 Echoes or 4888 Fragments|
|Incomplete||N/A||Nothing is further than Yin and Yang. A thought can decide one's life and death.||318 Echoes or 1188 Fragments|
|Waterless Stream||Memory Sphere 3||This side is decayed while that side is vigorous; there no heroes and no thoughts.||N/A|
|Spiked Guards||Memory Sphere 5||Red or blue? Both choices are irrelevant.||N/A|
|Sunset||Logic Path reached 1258 (S3)||N/A|
|Twin Lakes||Logic Path reached 1258 (S9)||By the emerald waters and under the ivory clouds I waited, but she never appeared.||N/A|
|Purple Pavilion||Logic Path reached 1258 (S13)||The Purple Pavilion accidentally falls in love, the green mountain deliberately goes into disguise.||N/A|
|Tide Bringer||Memory Sphere Season 5||Gradual accumulation leads to big changes. Perseverance is the key to success.
Special Effects: Skill Effect Replacement
|1888 Echoes or 8388 Fragments|
|Parchment||Memory Sphere Season 3||They have passed away and exist only in pictures.||N/A|
|Past Memories||Memory Sphere Season 7||Those people and things have been long buried in the past.||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Taegeuk Mirror||Memory Sphere Season 12||People often overlook the fact that there are two sides to everything, or it may be exaggerated.||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Graffiti||Muse Mark||Already Equipped||The Graffiti content for all survivors and hunters, Muse Mark|
|Graffiti||Wu Chang - Gray Shadow||Wu Chang's exclusive Graffiti, Gray Shadow.|
|Emote||Salute||Salute Motion, exclusive to Wu Chang|
|Emote||Threaten||Memory Sphere Season 6||Threaten Motion, exclusive to Wu Chang|
|Emote||Rolls 4-Sided Dice||4-sided Dice Enthusiast
|Rolls 4-sided Dice Motion, exclusive to Wu Chang|
|Default||Already Equipped||Hunter's default motion in matching room|
|Demonstrate||Memory Sphere Season 5||Wu Chang Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Demonstrate|
|Visit||S8 Rank Treasure VI||Wu Chang Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Visit (visible to Survivors)|
|Snooze||Memory Sphere Season 6||Wu Chang Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Snooze|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- From the start of the match, immediately cast the umbrella to a cipher machine (Knowing spawn places would be extremely helpful.) If there is a survivor, summon. Otherwise, walk around with that bonus movement speed for a few seconds.
- White Guard has large hit box using charged attack, while Black Guard is known for fast pallet breaking speed, fast recovery speed. Find out which one suits you the most in each moment.
- When affected by both skills, survivors will start to have cards glowing around, sharply decreased movement speed, moving in both directions.
- Trick, when you are face camping, switch to Black. If a survivor is coming to rescue, switch to White to activate Lost Soul to nearby survivor, make them unable to rescue. However this only works while full presence is achieved.
- Teleport: Summon is Teleport. However, Teleport is more powerful in late-game when you need to patrol multiple cipher machines at once.
- Blink: If you struggle in chase, use Blink. Blink always helps.
- Peeper: Peeper reduces movement and interaction speed. Helpful for White Guard.
- Wu Chang players often choose White when pursuing, use that as a advantage. White Guard's hit box is long, but has a narrow range, so if Wu Chang is charging, try and juke him.
- Black Guard hit box is short, but has fast recovery speed and fast pallet breaking speed, meaning he is better at kiting around pallet. His Wavering Soul also stuns survivors for 0.5 seconds, meaning he can cut kites pretty easily. However, he can't cut distances that fast, and often has to summon to get near to the survivors.
- White Guard's Siphon Soul makes him gain fast movement speed for a few seconds, and his incredible hit box makes him better at shortening distance. But his slow attacking speed lets survivors get to a pallet or juke to avoid getting hit.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Their birthday is 15th of July in Chinese lunar calendar, this makes their birthday vary every year.
- Their birthday in 2020 is 2nd of September.
- Their interests are painting and calligraphy.
- Their skills are in verse and sword fighting.
- They hate rain and rope.
- They like umbrellas and compasses.
- Their clothing looks similar to the colors of the Chinese Yin and Yang.
- They are based off of the myth of Heibai Wuchang, they are worshiped as the fortune deities in in Chinese temples. The white guard would bring good fortune to people who have done good deeds and the black guard would punish others for committing evil acts.
- They are hinted to not actually be brothers, as familial terms often insinuate closeness in Chinese. “Bound by brothers” specifically translates to basically “together at the hip.”
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]