"In Joseph's eyes, every photograph is a mark in time."
Overview[edit | edit source]
The Photographer is a time and space manipulating Hunter. Joseph grants the power of two space times and create a static camera world with his cameras placed all over the map.
After taking a photo, he will create a Camera World, replicating the survivors and environment from that moment. In the Camera World, if Joseph hits Survivors's Mirror Image once, they'll receive a 0.5 damage; if he incapacitates the Survivors's Mirror Image, they'll receive one damage; if he put the Survivors's Mirror Image in a Rocket Chair, they'll be incapacitated once the Mirror Image ends. Every time the Camera World ends, all Cipher Machines's decoding progress will be cut in half.
His Recorded Moment ability allow him to enter and exit the Camera World freely and allow him to do surprise attacks when Survivors are decoding Cipher Machines or rescuing someone from Rocket Chairs. His second ability, Time Jump, allow him to records the path he passed in the last 15 seconds and he can return to any point in the path.
Background[edit | edit source]
Coming from an affluent aristocratic family, Joseph, also known as Ex-Count Desaulniers, was born in France alongside his twin brother, Claude. During the early years of his life, it is implied his family was forced to flee France and move to England, likely because of the mass emigration to Britain during the French Revolution. Not too long after, his brother passed away from illness, and the pain of losing his dear twin and trusted companion caused Joseph to become emotionlessly absorbed with art and photography. He hoped that he would be able to save the appearances of the people and objects he took photos of to liven up his pictures. Despite being arrogant, biased and overly sentimental, the count was a wealthy and well-respected man, his French accent and elegance alluring to the many people who were willing to model for his hobby. However, suspicions and rumors about the now-elderly Joseph began to spread amongst the maids and workers of the Desaulniers Manor when the population of the hamlet began to drop rapidly.  Now seemingly slipping into a dark place, a panic-stricken mob forced their way into Joseph's residence, but the old gentleman was nowhere to be seen. On the wall of his studio, however, were all kinds of lifelike portraits of people that seemed to be looking right at them; it seemed that Joseph's shutter took more than photos, after all.
External Traits[edit | edit source]
|Camera World||After Joseph takes a photo with his Camera, he can replicate the Survivors and environment from that moment and create a static Camera World. Joseph can enter the Camera World at will to find the Survivor from that moment and place them upon a Rocket Chair.
While in the static Camera World, Survivors cannot escape the Manor or be sent back there from Rocket Chairs; similarly, Survivors in the real world can enter the Camera World through recorded images.
Survivors who do this can decode Cipher Machines for progress but cannot decode them completely.
Those in the Camera World will not apply team buffs or debuffs to Survivors.
After the Camera World collapses, half of the changes made within it will be projected onto the real world, and there will be a cooldown during which the Camera cannot be used.
Grants the power of two spacetimes. Regular attacks deal 1.5x the damage.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
These are two Abilities that are unique to Joseph:
A recorded moment which can be used while Camera World is active. Joseph may use it to enter and exit the Camera World freely.
Joseph records last 15 seconds in time as he moves. Return to your desired point in time by holding down the skill button for the corresponding number of seconds.
Deduction Target[edit | edit source]
All completed Objectives reward the player with +335 Logic points for the Logic Path
Appearance Decoration[edit | edit source]
|Original||Already Equipped||The original costume. Everything looks so natural.||N/A|
|Worn Clothes||Complete Character Deduction quest 10 Fear to get.||All the clothes are super tattered. Was it only a game they have been through?||N/A|
|Azrael||N/A||He fell from the heavens and brought with him the first falling leaf of the season.||2888 Echoes or 12888 Fragments|
|Moonlight Gentleman||Memory Sphere Season 3||The moonlight in dreams is gentle and affectionate, but no one tries to dance with him.||N/A|
|Apollo||Memory Sphere Season 6||Only I can give you sunshine and hope, and only I can take them away.||N/A|
|Bloody Sword||Memory Sphere Season 9||Acts in the dark in order to seize the Tome's power. He saw the end of the castle through the mirror. But when The Embrace appeared so unexpectedly, he was powerless to do anything. Nevertheless, he was not going to let go of his prey.||N/A|
|Lies||Memory Sphere Season 5||Darling, every promise I make comes from my heart - if I had a heart.||N/A|
|Hypnotist||Memory Sphere Season 6||Medical Position: Hypnotist
Memo: Collecting vulnerable and distorted images of patients through hypnosis. Only Rorschach will have unnecessary sympathy for the patients... It's better that he goes and accompany those poor fellas!
|Count||Memory Sphere Sesaon 7||Don't bother his Lordship, unless you want to be hung on the wall for eternity.||N/A|
|Macbeth||Halloween 2019||The night is long that never finds the day. - Macbeth||100 Spyglasses|
|Auctioneer||Call of the Abyss III||He never thought that Pickman, who was ridiculed as a copycat, could utilise his imitation skills so well on things from the Nether. As a maniac admirer, the Auctioneer decided to spread the Netherwalker's work, so that the world would come to know of the Abyss' glamour and novelty.||N/A|
|Iris||Memory Sphere Season 10||Despite the limited success of the desert exploration, at least it proved that the notebook was valuable. I recruited a better team by offering better remuneration. On the first day of our forest exploration, they showed me what I have bargained for.||N/A|
|Bloody Shadow||Logic Path reached 1258 (S4)||N/A|
|Sunset||Reach Player Level 47||Why don't those who wander the roads stop to enjoy the last moments of the sunrise as the sky dims and the twilight falls?||N/A|
|Shadow in Pond||Logic Path reached 502 (S11)||The visitor's face is reflected on the quiet surface of water, hiding the coldness of the pond.||N/A|
|Astral Device||N/A||Your future destiny is something which you foresaw long ago, but cannot avoid.
Alters visual effects while walking and when taking pictures.
|1068 Echoes or 3888 Fragments|
|Tenderness||Valentines 2020||Lovers who cannot meet each other are connected through this quill pen and eventually become a symbol of love.
Alters visual effects while walking and when taking pictures.
|1068 Echoes or 3888 Fragments|
|Snowman||N/A||Snow can't be preserved forever.||80 Spy Glasses|
|Villain Charm||N/A||Hunter's accessories, Villain Charm||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Lost Girl||N/A||Hunter's accessories, Lost Girl||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Bizarro Detective||Already Obtained||Hunter's accessories, Bizarro Detective||N/A|
|Desperate Prayer||N/A||Willing to endure the darkness to become human.||288 Echoes or 1088 Fragments|
|Graffiti||Muse Mark||Already Equipped||The Graffiti content for all survivors and hunters, Muse Mark|
|Graffiti||Auctioneer||Abyss Treasure||Photographer Exclusive Graffiti - Auctioneer|
|Emote||Threaten||Memory Sphere Season 6||Threaten Motion, exclusive to Photographer|
|Emote||Rolls 4-Sided Dice||4-sided Dice Enthusiast
|Rolls 4-sided Dice Motion, exclusive to Photographer|
|Default||Already Equipped||Hunter's default motion in matching room|
|Demonstrate||Memory Sphere Season 5||Photographer Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Demonstrate|
|Sneer||Memory Sphere Season 5||Photographer Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Sneer|
|Snooze||Memory Sphere Season 6||Photographer Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Snooze|
|Visit||Memory Sphere Season 9||Photographer Exclusive Matching Room Standby Motion - Visit (visible to Survivors)|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His character day is 11th of March, the day his twin brother passed away.
- The Photographer is unable to be used in "Violent Struggle" mode for a reason unknown to the public so far.
- This is most likely due to his complicated ability causing performance issues when there is double the number of players.
- Also, his attack does 1.5 damage which will knock the survivors down in just two hits. (Remember, in Pack Hunter mode, survivors have 3 HP)
- Joseph has a twin named Claude that is implied to have died of sickness.
- Joseph was alive during the French Revolution.
- Despite his young looks, it is implied that Joseph lived a long life, died and is now undead.
- His interests are painting and photography.
- His talents are dancing, fencing and drawing.
- He hates summer and wet things.
- He loves autumn and silverware.
- Joseph is based on and named after Joseph Nicéphore Niépce, who invented the first successful photographic process known, thus being the first photographer in history.
- Joseph is left-handed
- Joseph’s character day letter goes as following:
|Joseph's Character Day Letter|
|Dear Claude, no rain has fallen today, but it still reminds me of the melancholy I had on the day of your departure.
Here I sit in solidarity at the study, writing a letter that will never be delivered, and to a person afar both in time and space. This may all sound foolish, but on this day, I failed to contain myself.
You and I walked on the same path for seasons unchanged. Year after year, until that particular winter, the path we took began to tilt. Yet, your anticipation for spring remains untethered, despite the angel of death stood right ahead.
It took you, like it took everyone else, to a world I can’t reach and fail to see.
I blame myself for surviving. Why does it have to be me who remained on that brisk spring morning? I miss you, my dear brother. Day after day, the person reflected in the mirror as I stood afront becomes increasingly unfamiliar. This begs the question, for a memory that stood firm against the test of time, can it be regained after it is lost? Will I ever hold a remembrance of you? Will I ever hold whom I respected and loved in mind until eternity?
I am heartbroken by your negligence, for you never replied to me. You are always optimistic about the coming spring, claiming the sun could shatter even the darkest of clouds.
Ever since that day, I could no longer enjoy the warmth of spring, not without you. I must remember something. Someone has to.
The catastrophe, the illnesses, the lives we lost, those people should’ve welcomed this coming spring with us,
Your loving brother,
Tips[edit | edit source]
As Joseph[edit | edit source]
- Taking the damage projection to your advantage, you can try out an alternative play style: Hit all photo survivors you can find in the Camera World once. Once the Camera World collapses, you can now incapacitate survivors in one-hit, due to their inability to heal half-damage. Notice that the Doctor can heal half-damage, so this play style is ineffective against a team with her.
- If you spawn right next to a camera, try to activate the camera immediately so the Survivors do not have time to hide themselves.
- Alternatively, you could also wait before activating the camera, in hopes that the Survivors have grown impatient and started decoding.
- In the Camera World, Survivors's Mirror Images don't move and struggle so it's best to equip Hospitable to get yourself some extra movement speed hitting survivor when ballooning one of them. Additionally, you do not have attack recovery when you hold a ballooned Survivor. Carry a Survivor around the map and hit any Mirror Images you can find once.
- It is advisable to not down Survivors in the Mirror World. When the Mirror World ends, the damage will translate to 0.5 damage, which can be healed by any Survivor. You can choose to chair a Survivor in the Mirror World, but that will translate to the Survivor being downed in the Real World, which is also healable by any Survivor. You must be able to find that downed Survivor before they get healed.
- Hitting Mirror Images of Survivors also gives you presence and unlocks your abilities.
- If there is a barmaid on the survivor side, after they mix a drink, unlock the photo world as it will waste their time healing themselves, or provide an insta down.
Against Joseph[edit | edit source]
- Camera World will collapse after an amount of time. When it collapsed, half of the decoding progress will be decreased to the machine. Because of so, decode together during the Camera progress to make the machine completed before it collapsed.
- If decoding alone and you:
- Have decoding progress on the cipher before the Camera World has started or have decoding buffs, continue decoding on the cipher and complete every perfect calibration and try to finish the cipher before the Camera World ends. If standing close to the camera, try to reposition before continuing to decode
- Have no decoding progress on the cipher before the Camera World starts and are not playing a Survivor with decoding buffs, go into the Camera World to decode. The decoding progress is the same in both worlds and it is easier to avoid being jump-scared and terror shocked.
- NEVER rescue a survivor in the rocket chair in the Camera World: Rescuing survivor from a rocket chair gives them 0.25 damage after the Camera World ends, which makes it impossible to heal the survivor with characters that are not the Doctor or Barmaid. Just let the survivor get incapacitated, then go to them and heal them after the camera world ends.
- Joseph often jump-scares Survivors by going in and out of the Camera World, which causes Survivors to be Terror Shocked. Before he activates the Camera World, try to hide in a corner and crouch to avoid your Mirror Image from being found easily. The Mirror Image does not activate the Hunter's tinnitus. Do not decode directly in front of a camera, Joseph can exit the Camera World through the cameras and easily Terror Shock you. Additionally, in late game, Joseph does not need the cameras to exit the Camera World. Be on guard to escape whenever.
- As Barmaid, do not mix your drink before the Camera World begins. The 0.5 damage will be carried over in the camera world and will affect you when the Camera World ends.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]