"The circus has two types of clowns, the smiling clown who brings joy and the crying clown who drowns himself in sorrow. Joker was tired of his role, so he gave himself a permanent smile."
Background[edit | edit source]
Joker was once the star of the circus. His naturally sullen face made him the best crying clown. However, the advantage changed when the handsome smile clown Segi and the glamorous acrobat and actress Natalie joined the circus, and Joker realized it's time for him to change his "professional track". Obviously, after getting his eternal smile, Joker can go nuts in new comedy shows.
External Traits[edit | edit source]
|Rocket Modification||Joker can collect Parts scattered around the Map to modify his weapon. Modification is lost after an attack or a Rocket Dash.
Increases Attack Speed and Rocket Dash Speed.
Survivors take longer time to heal when hit by normal attacks or skills.
Increases the effect of Rocket Dash once, but the weight is also slightly increased, thus decreasing its speed.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
These are two Abilities that are unique to Smiley Face:
|Rocket Dash||Brandishing a rocket, Joker dashes forward quickly and destroys all targets in his way.
Cooldown: 12 seconds
|Crazed Dash||After multiple intimate collaborations, Joker can dash farther and faster with his rocket.
Cooldown: 12 seconds
Deduction Target[edit | edit source]
Appearance Decoration[edit | edit source]
|Original||Already Equipped||The original costume. Everything looks so natural.||N/A|
|Worn Clothes||Complete Character Deduction quest 10 New Face to get.||All the clothes are super tattered. Was it only a game they have been through?||N/A|
|King||N/A||Can you capture an audience with only a wonderful joke? The way to take the stage is with strength!||2888 Echoes or 12888 Fragments|
|Netherwalker||Call of the Abyss III||Pickman only took what he saw in the Nether as inspiration, and somehow those fools couldn't get enough of his work. When he discovered that the Vile Blossom's deteriorating erosion can only be transferred and can't be eliminated, he chose to be the container himself. But who can ever replace her as Pickman's model?||N/A|
|Glistening Grin||Recharge Accumulation Phase 2||God asked that those who received money from God should always be smiling, yet his life was so miserable that he broke the promise. As such, he was forced to put on a "glistening" smile. Unable to bear the pain, he can only ask for forgiveness by smearing his clothes with laughter and smiles. (Obtainable only with accumulated recharge echoes.)||Recharge 75,000 Echoes or 100,000 Echoes|
|Scarecrow||S1 Essence 3||It's a scarecrow outfit found near the exit gate. Although it was on fire, I thought it could be salvaged.||N/A|
|Prisoner||N/A||You have to keep smiling in prison, because joy is something that cannot be taken.||288 Echoes or 1088 Fragments|
|Singer||N/A||There is nothing quite like a song from the savage lands of South America to add a bit of joy and laughter during a long ocean voyage.||318 Echoes or 1188 Fragments|
|Mr. Pink||S1 Essence 5||When he puts on that pink scarf he sings a song for spirits.||N/A|
|Iron Hat Commander||Abyss Treasure||The desperate formed the Iron Hats, and they regard Steam City as their last shelter. They will live on here no matter what it takes.||N/A|
|Archiver||N/A||The past is buried and my memory is sealed. I don't know who I am.||318 Echoes or 1188 Fragments|
|The Mummy||Memory Sphere Season 4||Death is only part of the journey, and now everything is just beginning.||N/A|
|Forbidden Forest Guard||Memory Sphere Season 5||The Forbidden Forest Guard that has been guarding the forest for generations looks menacing, but is actually kind. Although he is not very good with magic, he does his best to protect his friends.||N/A|
|Forbidden Area Guard||N/A||There are many secrets hidden in the academy's forbidden area, which many people are trying to steal. The Forbidden Area Guard is therefore always on guard, reminded of his mission.||318 Echoes or 1188 Fragments|
|"Romani"||Memory Sphere Season 5||Don't blink, or you won't be able to tell if it's my ball landing next or...||N/A|
|"Smile"||N/A||I don't like it when you are too happy.||318 Echoes or 1188 Fragments|
|Medium Rare||Memory Sphere Season 9||Get away from my chopping board, unless you want to lie on it forever.||N/A|
|Train Drier||Memory Sphere Season 11||Get out of my way, unless you want to end up like that lord in first-class?||N/A|
|Green Hat||S2 Essence 1||As long as no one calls him "cauliflower," Smiley Face is happy to liven things up with his green hat.||N/A|
|Red Face||S1 Memory Sphere B||Bruised by constant ridicule, the joker's face is twisted in anger!||108 Echoes or 438 Fragments|
|Purple Eggplant||N/A||Read along with the joker—"Cheese...!"||N/A|
|Blue Freak||N/A||Have you ever seen a joker in blue? Never? Never? Hahaha...||N/A|
|Absurd Decree||N/A||Proclaiming oneself king is absurd.
Special effect: Special Rocket Dash effect added.
|1068 Echoes or3888 Fragments|
|Powder Keg||Memory Sphere Season 2||A powder keg filled to the brim with gunpowder.
Special effect: Special sprint effect
|788 Echoes or 2988 Fragments|
|Hypnotic Device||Memory Sphere 9||Don't stare at it. If you're hypnotized, you'll be affected with terrible nightmares.
Special effects: Replace Carry Motion.
|Ankle Breaker||N/A||You can tell what happened to Smiley Face's other foot by the spikes all over his body, but Smiley Face has always cherished this companion.||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Villain Charm||N/A||Hunter's accessories, Villain Charm||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Lost Girl||N/A||Hunter's accessories, Lost Girl||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Bizarro Detective||Already Obtained||Hunter's accessories, Bizarro Detective||N/A|
|Tambourine||Memory Sphere Season 3||Oh, Carmen, let's dance to the beat!||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Jack-In-The-Box||Memory Sphere Season 5||I don't know which rascal created the Jack-In-The-Box, but the slightest disturbance causes the Jack-In-The-Box to shake continuously.||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Rocket Pilow||Memory Sphere 8||I'm craving for a good night's rest after a long hunt.||258 Echoes or 968 Fragments|
|Desperate Prayer||N/A||Willing to endure the darkness to become human.||288 Echoes or 1088 Fragments|
|Graffiti||Muse Mark||Already Equipped||The Graffiti content for all survivors and hunters, Muse Mark|
|Graffiti||Smiley Face - Cartoon||S1 Memory Sphere B||Smiley Face's exclusive Graffiti - Cartoon|
|Graffiti||Smiley Face - Customization||???||Special Smiley Face Graffiti. The graffiti demonstrates the personality of the character.|
|Graffiti||Smiley Face - Silhouette||Memory Sphere Season 7||Smiley Face's exclusive scribble - Silhouette|
|Graffiti||Chainsaw - Grayed||Rank Treasure||Chainsaw Graffiti, Grayed|
|Graffiti||Monocycle - Grayed||N/A||Monocycle Graffiti, Grayed|
|Default||Already Equipped||Hunter's default motion in matching room|
|Sneer||S1 Essence 1||Smiley Face's exclusive standby motion in matching room, Sneer|
|Laugh||Memory Sphere||Smiley Face's exclusive standby motion in matching room, Laugh|
|Visit||S1 Essence 2||Smiley Face's exclusive standby motion in matching room, Visit. Visible to survivors.|
|Snooze||S1 Essence 6||Smiley Face's motion in matching room, Snooze|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His character day is August 4th.
- His interest are comedy shows.
- As shown in his birthday artwork, plus evidence from the story, he is wearing the face of smiling clown after killing him. This is shown when in the story he was originally referred to as the sad clown, and the other clown is the smiling clown. However, in-game he is smiling, and it is stated in the story his face was burned by acid. Despite this, in-game his face is shown to not display any damage which means he is wearing the face of the smiling clown.
- He is skilled in retrofitting.
- He hates crybabies and sportspeople.
- He likes acrobats and chainsaws.
- Smiley Face might have some inspiration from pop culture;
- He shares some traits of The Hillbilly from Dead by Daylight (i.e. the ability to dash forward with his weapon, which fittingly was previously a chainsaw).
- Smiley's name and nature may be influenced by the DC Comics villain Joker.
- Smiley's clothing is similar to Freddy Krueger the famous slasher from "Nightmare on Elm Street" franchise (i.e. his finger blades and striped coat).
- Smiley's deductions are a reference to an Italian play, "Pagliacci".
- His accessory, "Ankle Breaker", was the reason Smiley lost his left leg.
- Smiley Face had multiple beta weapons before the public release;
- Like Hell Ember, his original weapon was supposed to be a chainsaw.
- Before the first beta version of the game, his weapon was his claws, then they were changed to Hell Embers' old sickle.
- During the 4th beta version of the game, his weapon had changed to a toy chainsaw.
- His weapon changed to a toy rocket after the 4th beta version.
- During the beta version of the game, his Rocket dash could directly incapacitate survivors, and there were blood splashing effects during the 2nd beta version. Both of these settings were removed after the game was officially open.
- Smiley is part of the Hullabaloo Circus Group.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Playing as[edit | edit source]
- Try to play Smiley Face on a PC, as the mouse automatically changes the direction of him. (Mobile version requires heavy swiping to make Rocket Dashing change directions.
- Always start to collect nearby gear, apply them, and make a dash to a cipher machine.
- When camping, hold down the skill button to make a free cooldown attack.
- Impact is extremely helpful alongside the slow heal gear.
Counter[edit | edit source]
- Early drop a pallet. When Joker is approaching, he will have to break the pallet blocking the way.
- Avoid kiting in large open areas and constantly turn corners.
References[edit | edit source]
- Translated from Chinese